Rex Putnam Youth Cheer, Inc. (RPYC) is a non-profit organization that offers a cheerleading program for 2nd–8th Graders. Our program began as part of the Rex Putnam Youth Football program in 2007 and operated as a part of the football program through their 2010 season.
We elected the first Officers to the RPYC Board of Directors in April 2011 and incorporated with the State of Oregon thereby forming an independent cheer organization for our youth. We are currently in the application process to become Federally recognized as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
The mission of Rex Putnam Youth Cheer, Inc. is to:
- promote cheerleading as a sport.
- teach children the fundamental and advanced elements of cheerleading within a safe environment.
- teach through the cheerleading program the characteristics and value of dedication, teamwork, and sportsmanship; and to develop self-confidence.
- prepare all participants for their respective High School cheer programs.
- keep the welfare of all participants first and foremost, with adults serving as instructors and role models.
Practices begin the first full week in August. We cheer during the annual youth football Jamboree in late August then games begin the first Saturday in September. The football season runs through mid-November. During the football season, participants have the opportunity to learn a program-wide dance routine and perform at the Rose Garden for a Trail Blazers pre-game or halftime show in mid- or late-November. We also perform the dance at the annual youth basketball Jamboree.